This week we are excited to share with you the new direction we believe God is moving us.
Recently, we were put in touch with missionaries who have been praying for team mates. They’ve been working beyond their capacity, and are in desperate need of help. Every day they’re turning people away from their ministry because they don’t have the human capital they need. What a shame to turn people away, people who could be followers of Jesus. This doesn’t have to happen!
As this need was shared with us, we felt called to respond and go. Our prayers have also affirmed us. We’ve been praying to be a part of a team. We’ve been praying that for our first term we could join veteran missionaries in furthering the gospel. We’ve been praying about teaching as our primary ministry platform. And we’ve been praying that this would take place in a Spanish-speaking country.
Well, about two hours west of Madrid, Spain is perhaps just the right opportunity. The missionaries who have asked for our help are ministering in a region of the country where over half of the population are immigrants. Of those that are immigrants, most are Moroccan.
Immigrants are leaving North Africa in droves. Spain is the second most highly emigrated nation in the world. Meaning after the U.S., more immigrants resettle in Spain every year than anywhere else. Some seek refuge, others seek better opportunities through jobs. Many need to learn English or Spanish, or both.
We are passionate about this for several reasons. This is a direct ask for us to come and use our skills and experience as teachers of English. There’s need down the road for small business development, and lots of entrepreneurship potential. There is an INCREDIBLE opportunity to share Jesus with the UNREACHED. And then there’s this: at this point in history, when there’s more migrant movement than at any other time, Europe may just be “the place” to reach the unreached. Here, maybe we can help bridge west and east, Christianity and other religions, Christians and nonbelievers. How humbling to be part of the reconciliation story between these two groups of people.
That old adage is true: “when God closes one door, He opens another.”
As we move towards this, here are a few important steps in our timeline.
- Jan-Feb 2016- Finish out our ministry roles at NMSI’s home office
- March 2016- Visit Central Spain; Begin Visa process; TESOL certification
- April-May 2016- 4-6 weeks of field training for cross-cultural ministry (Center for Intercultural Training, North Carolina)
- Summer 2016- Finish fundraising if needed, register for language school (in Spain), proposal for ministry development due to NMSI
- July/Aug/Sep 2016- Say our goodbyes, prepare for deployment, move to the field as soon as we have visas
Ways we’d love to partner with you:
- Pray. For each other, undoubtedly, our greatest source of power.
- Be relational. Let’s be friends! Let’s encourage and admonish one another in our walks of faith!
- Give. Monthly, to sustain a long-term commitment, or one-time gifts to help with start-up costs.
- Go. On mission, whether that’s globally or locally. Engage others with the gospel.
- Connect. In church, small group, or among friends or family who share a heart for Jesus.
Thanks for journeying with us. We are eternally grateful to you and the vital part you play in this ministry. We would love to hear from you and how we can be walking with you in your faith this year. How can we be praying for you?
CLICK HERE to partner with the Hemming ministry!